• Trump sues CBS for $20 billion, alleging deceptive editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with Kamala Harris during the 2024 campaign.
  • CBS denies wrongdoing, defending its editing practices as standard and accurate amid an ongoing FCC investigation.
  • Settlement talks are underway as Paramount faces internal pressure, with potential implications for media editing practices and First Amendment rights.

Former President Donald Trump has escalated his legal battle against CBS, doubling his demand to $20 billion in a lawsuit claiming the network deceptively edited a “60 Minutes” interview with former Vice President Kamala Harris. Trump alleges the edits unfairly portrayed Harris as stronger and more competent during the 2024 presidential campaign, which he argues influenced voters.

Trump’s Legal Team Takes Aggressive Steps

In an amended court filing submitted late Friday, Trump added CBS’ parent company, Paramount Global, as a defendant. The lawsuit also included U.S. Rep. Ronny Jackson, a Republican from Texas and Trump’s former physician, as an additional plaintiff. This move appears aimed at keeping the case in Amarillo, Texas, where it is being heard by a Trump-appointed judge.

Jackson, who resides in Texas, claims he was personally affected by the alleged manipulation of the Harris interview. By including him, Trump’s lawyers argue the case should remain in Texas, sidestepping CBS’ request to move it to New York, where the network is headquartered.

CBS Denies Wrongdoing

Freedom-Loving Beachwear by Red Beach Nation - Save 10% With Code RVM10

CBS has repeatedly denied manipulating the “60 Minutes” interview with Harris. In response to accusations, the network stated last fall, “When we edit any interview, whether a politician, an athlete, or a movie star, we strive to be clear, accurate, and on point.”

This week, the network reaffirmed its editing practices. “[60 Minutes] is always guided by the truth and what we believe will be most informative to the viewing public,” CBS said Wednesday, defending its methods amid a new Federal Communications Commission (FCC) inquiry into alleged news distortion.

FCC Investigation Adds Fuel

The controversy intensified after FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, a Trump appointee, launched a separate investigation into CBS following a complaint from the conservative nonprofit Center for American Rights. The FCC also took the unusual step of releasing unedited transcripts and video footage of the Harris interview.

The raw footage, released last week, verified that Harris’ responses were quoted accurately. CBS News pointed out that the differences in her answers were due to standard editing practices, not intentional distortion.

What Trump Claims

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE THE DUPREE REPORT

Are you glad President Trump is building the new WH ballroom?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from The Dupree Report, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

Trump’s lawsuit argues that CBS edited Harris’ interview to mislead voters, portraying her as more competent and decisive than she actually was. His legal team described Harris as prone to delivering “word salads”—rambling, incoherent responses—and accused CBS of making her appear more polished to boost ratings and commercial appeal.

The dispute revolves around Harris’ answers to a question about Israel. Trump supporters claim that while her response on “Face the Nation” was lengthy, the version aired on “60 Minutes” was shorter and more impactful. CBS said this was simply a matter of selecting a clear portion of her reply for broadcast.

Growing Tensions Inside Paramount

The lawsuit adds new pressure on Paramount Global Chairwoman Shari Redstone, who is working to finalize an $8-billion merger with Skydance Media. The outcome of the lawsuit could affect the transfer of CBS broadcast licenses, which require FCC approval.

Redstone has reportedly pushed for a settlement with Trump to avoid delays in completing the merger. Insiders claim she wants to wrap up the deal by April, securing $1.75 billion for her family’s holding company.

However, discussions have sparked internal conflicts within Paramount. Journalists at CBS are urging leaders to stand firm and defend the network’s First Amendment rights, while executives weigh the financial risks of continuing the legal battle.

Settlement Talks in Progress

Preliminary settlement talks between Trump’s team and Paramount officials are underway. According to the New York Post, Trump’s representatives, including his son Donald Trump Jr., are seeking up to $100 million to settle the case.

This figure is significantly higher than the $15 million Walt Disney Co. paid in 2024 to resolve a defamation lawsuit involving statements made by ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos. In that case, Stephanopoulos falsely claimed Trump had been found liable for raping writer E. Jean Carroll.

The outcome of Trump’s lawsuit could have far-reaching implications for media organizations and their editing practices. As the case unfolds, it also raises questions about how far networks should go in balancing clarity with accuracy.

While CBS continues to defend its actions, the legal and regulatory scrutiny surrounding the case is likely to grow. The FCC’s involvement and the potential settlement with Trump add layers of complexity to an already high-stakes situation.

What’s your take on Trump’s lawsuit against CBS? Do you think interview edits should be more closely regulated? Share your comments below, and don’t forget to spread the word by sharing this article with friends and colleagues. For more updates, visit TheDupreeReport.com.

Freedom-Loving Beachwear by Red Beach Nation - Save 10% With Code RVM10